Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What The Hell Am I Doing Here?

Title with all due respect to Radiohead and the Bluecoats Drum & Bugle Corps' 2011 production, which is fresh on my mind.


So I won't lie to you. I know plenty of friends and colleagues of mine have student affairs-centric blogs, but I didn't see myself ever going that route. After a few consecutive thoughts of "I really ought to write about that", I thought I'd go ahead and dive in.

Make no mistake, I'm no stranger to the medium. I'm ten years deep in the blog* game, maintaining a LiveJournal for most of that time and starting the content that would evolve into 80 Minutes of Regulation back in  2007.  Still, it's long been my stance that I blog my hobbies, not my profession. As I mentioned above, a few recent ideas for posts necessitated a place to put them, so here we stand. I don't know at this juncture how prolific I'll be, but I'm stepping into the ring.

The title is derived from a phrase I have often uttered about my role in the field of student affairs, specifically campus activities: I am an educator first; programmer second. Sometimes, it's a close second. Time will tell if this becomes a "close second" to my other blogging pursuits.

*I want to go on record: I actually hate the word "blog". Its etymology involves putting two words together and splitting them up again at a previously unagreed-to spot. I'll also note that while many do not, I draw a distinction between my LiveJournal, in which I wrote about myself, and my blogs, in which I write about stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment