Friday, June 24, 2011

It All Comes Together

It was recently announced that at my dear alma mater, UMBC, The Athletics Department would become a part of the Division of Student Affairs. It is a worlds colliding moment of  two pieces of the University I love.

Those of you who know me professionally may be surprised to learn that the involvement experience that got me into the field of student affairs didn't come from the world of student activities. In fact, the folks in the Office of Student Life at UMBC may be hard-pressed to recall my name. But there were two constants in my undergraduate experience that helped guide me to where I am today: Residential Life and UMBC Athletics.

I began my involvement in ResLife as a freshman, joining Hall Council of my residence hall. Being acquainted with the paraprofessional and professional staff led me to seek employment at our hall's front desk, and the rest, as they say, is history. I worked desk staff as a sophomore, became an RA junior year, and served as desk manager my senior year, Like so many of us in the field, this experience was part of what ultimately led me into student affairs.

But it wasn't the only part. Across campus, I was a drummer for the pep band, which played at home men's and women's basketball games, other events through campus (including the occasional chess team pep rally), and traveled to select local contests (who remembers the Battle of Baltimore Classic?) and conference tournaments. While we weren't a student organization in Student Life terms, this was one of the primary ways I was engaged in campus and a key leadership experience, as I served as a group leader and student director. During my time with the pep band, we would mobilize the unit for the first time in the 2002 Hoemcoming parade and plant the seeds for what would become UMBC's first ever drumline.

For me, this new marriage makes absolute sense. Interestingly enough, Nancy Young, the Vice President for Student Affairs, was the Director for Residential Life while I was there, and Charles Brown, the Athletic Director (and soon to be Associate VPSA) was there during my time as well, so this brings together not only two areas that were critical to my development, but also two individuals who I worked under in these areas. I also know that both have been supportive of one another, even before this reorganization.

I will note that this is the sort of move that I'd otherwise be inclined to give the side-eye to; I have strong reservations about athletics departments, which typically generate some sort of revenue, sublimating in ways that allow them to have their cake and eat it too, especially with regards to student fees, a much sought after resource in tough financial times. Still, it is worth noting that at UMBC, the Athletics Department is actually Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation, and is both curricular and co-curricular in nature. Areas under Dr. Brown's supervision, in addition to intercollegiate athletics, include campus recreation, intramurals, and club sports--often housed within Student Affairs anyway-- as well as the physical education courses. And while I'm not sure if Dr. Brown sits on the president's cabinet or not, this move takes Athletics not from being a standalone division but rather from the Academic Affairs arena, where it has been housed since 2003. For us--and yes, UMBC will always be "us"--This seems to be a move that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment