Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Father's Day

This past weekend, I celebrated my first Father's Day on the dad side; my daughter was born back in March. Not surprisingly, I received various message via Facebook and other means wishing me a Happy Father's Day. One of the most meaningful was this, from a recent student of mine:

"SPECIAL S/O to you today!!! You may technically be a new daddy, but you've fathered many and been a true blessing. Thank you on behave[sic] of all your unofficial children."

It was subsequently liked by another recent student of mine. For the briefest of moments I thought, wait? Fathered? I'm just shy of 30, have been in the profession about six years, and have less than a decade on most of my students up to the point. I can't be big brother? Cool uncle? I quickly realized, however, that if my students are making that reference, I'm doing something right. The cool uncle might give you a puff of his cigarette or a taste of his beer. A big brother might beat you up, or become your best friend. But a parent--the best kind, anyway--is there for you through thick and thin, educating, supporting, waving pompoms at your soccer game or disciplining when necessary. So as I sit here like a proud poppa of the achievements of my students past and present, it's a "#1 Dad" hat I'll gladly wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment